TREE PLANTING INFORMATION
TREE PLANTING – SITE SELECTION
Consider the plants characteristics:
- Do they need shade, full sun, dry or moist soil?
- How tall will it grow and how wide?
- Consider what existing natural or man-made features are on your site which may influence what trees and shrubs you plant and where. Avoid the following:
- Planting shade intolerant trees under mature trees.
- Planting on septic drain fields.
- Planting trees within 10-12 feet of overhead wires.
- Planting trees within 10-12 feet of a building.
- Planting evergreens where they may obstruct vision near roads.
- Planting salt intolerant plants next to roadways.
TREE PLANTING – PLANT SPACING
- Reforestation: Pines – 7 ft. x 8ft. with 700 trees per acre.
- Spruces – 6 ft. x 8 ft. with 900 trees per acre.
- Windbreaks: 8 ft. x 8ft. with 10 ft. between rows.